Other Accommodations

  • Housing Appeals information coming soon!

  • Service and Emotional Support Animals

    Williams College wishes to support students who may require the assistance of a service or emotional support animal.

    Service Animals:

    A “service animal” is a dog that is individually trained to perform work or tasks for a disabled person. The work or task must be directly related to the person’s disability, such as guiding a person with impaired vision or alerting a person with impaired hearing.

    The service animal may be used in all College facilities and activities within the provisions of this policy.  The person who requires the animal’s assistance is responsible for keeping the animal harnessed or leashed at all times unless these devices interfere with the animal’s work or the person’s disability prevents using these devices, in which case the person must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

    If a person wishes to live with a service animal in College housing, they must inform the Title 504 Officer (G. L. Wallace), who will make arrangements for the animal and discuss expectations for animal behavior and care.

    Emotional Support Animals:

    An “emotional support animal” is an animal that alleviates one or more symptoms or effects of a person’s disability and is necessary to afford the person an equal opportunity to use and enjoy College housing.  Emotional support animals are only allowed in that person’s College housing.

    A person wishing to bring an emotional support animal into College housing must request an accommodation at least 30 days in advance.  Students should make their request to the Director of Accessible Education. Faculty should make their requests to the Dean of the Faculty.  The College may require appropriate documentation from a health professional that addresses the person’s disability and how the animal is necessary to alleviate one or more symptoms to allow the person to use College housing.

    Requirements for caring for Service and Emotional Support Animals:

    The owner/handler is responsible for the safety of a service or emotional support animal.  Both the animal and the owner/handler must behave according to appropriate standards for the College community.

    The College need not accommodate a service animal or emotional support animal if:

    • The handler cannot care for it;
    • The handler cannot effectively control it;
    • It is not housebroken;
    • It poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others;
    • It would cause substantial physical damage to the property of the College or others;
    • It would pose an undue financial and administrative burden on the college; OR
    • It would fundamentally alter the nature of the College’s operations.

    The person who requires the service or emotional support animal is responsible for:

    • Feeding and otherwise caring for the animal;
    • Controlling the animal and ensuring that the animal’s behaviour is appropriate;
    • Properly disposing of the animal’s waste;
    • Maintaining the animal’s health; AND
    • Ensuring the animal is up to date with immunizations/vaccinations.

    The person who requires the service or emotional support animal is also responsible for any harm or damage that the animal causes to any person or property.

    Public Behavior of the Animal:

    The service animal must not be allowed to act in a disruptive or aggressive manner.  This includes the animal initiating contact without the owner’s permission, barking, or intrusive sniffing.  The service animal must remain close to and in the control of the owner/handler.

    Restricted Areas:

    The College has designated the following areas as off-limits to all animals due to safety concerns:

    • Research laboratories;
    • Areas where protective closing is necessary;
    • Mechanical rooms;
    • Custodial closets;
    • Any other areas where the animal’s presence would present a danger to either the animal’s or any person’s health and safety.

    Exceptions can be made individually, and reasonable accommodations will be provided so far as possible to ensure equal access is provided.

    Conflicting Disabilities:

    Many students and faculty at the College are allergic to animals.  Any person who has any health related issue with a service or emotional support animal should make a complaint to the Office of Accessible Education and Health Services.  Medical documentation may be required in support of such a complaint. The College can then consider the needs of both persons to resolve the problem effectively.

    Grievance Procedure:

    A person who is dissatisfied with a College decision concerning a service or emotional support animal should discuss the concern with the Title 504 Officer.  If this does not resolve the matter, the person may take the grievance to the Disabilities and Accommodations Advisory Group (DAAG), in accordance with the grievance procedure policy.

  • Mobility Accommodations information coming soon!

  • Concussion related accomodations

    The Office of Accessible Education provides the resources that you need during your recovery. There are many different options available to you. Certain accommodations are given to every student diagnosed with a concussion and others can be made available according to need.

    Communication With Professors

    Upon reaching out to the Office of Accessible Education or the health center, an email will immediately be sent to all of your professors informing them of your concussion and of the accommodations that will be available to you throughout your recovery.

    Below is a sheet with tips for Concussions:

    Concussion Tips Sheet


    • Automatic Accommodations

      These are the accommodations that are immediately granted to every student recovering from a concussion:

      – Note-takers will be identified and hired for two-week intervals (this time frame can be extended based on the continuation of symptoms) in all Williams College courses in which the student is enrolled.  

      – An accommodation for additional time (time and ½) on exams while the concussion protocol is in effect.

      – An accommodation for a separate room for exams while the concussion protocol is in effect.

      – Request for an alternate due date for assignments and exams while the concussion protocol is in effect.

      In most cases, Concussion Accommodations will end two weeks after initial notification. Professors will be emailed at the end of the temporary accommodation plan. If any of these accommodations are helpful to you make sure to take advantage of those resources. Stay in contact with your professors and tell them how your recovery is progressing, go see them in person or ask a friend to help you email them.

    • Further Accommodations

      If the normal accommodations are not enough for you, here are others that have been granted in the past that you can request:

      – Alternate Testing (Tests given orally, etc)

      – American Sign Language Interpretation

      – Books on Tape (all your textbooks and course packets converted into audiobook format)

      – Enlarged Print Text (all your reading materials converted to larger text)

      – Housing for a Support Animal

      – Permission to use a Keyboard in Class or on an Exam

      – Lectures Spoken into a Microphone

      – Mobility Instruction around Campus

      – Note Taker for you in Class

      – Requesting Professors to write in Print, not cursive

      – Copy of all Projected Materials delivered to you (powerpoints, etc)

      – Reader for Exams

      – Reduced Course Load

      – Scribe in Class or on Exams (someone else writes your answers for you)

      – Seating in front of the class

      – Tape Recordings of all Classes

      – Double Time on Exams

    • On Campus Resources for Concussions

      Yoga for Athletes

      Thursdays 4-5pm: Night Sky Yoga

      Not just a resource for athletes! Do what you can and let the instructor know about your injury ahead of time so they can help modify the practice when necessary.

      Need to talk?

      If you want to talk to a student about concussion accommodations:

      Eli Pier ’19 – [email protected]

      Skylar Chaney ’20 – [email protected]

      For more on-campus organizations and resources, please check out the Williams College Resources page.

    Concussion Links